10.10.2011

Shirred t shirt makeover

THANK YOU to everyone who has offered to guest post! Thanks to you, I'll be able to have my entire week filled with posts AND still get everything done I need to. Huzzah! Look for some amazing guest posts this week. Seriously, there are some wickedly talented ladies out there.

You might remember that I was in quite the funk just a little bit ago. I had lost my mojo and was so blah for few weeks. My friend {Crystal} helped get me out of it with a challenge to makeover a t shirt! This was such a fun challenge! I was so excited to coordinate with Crystal on this! It really helped spark my creativity, it helped me get my mojo back!


I love how it turned out! Flared waist, flared sleeves, shirring, pleats, color contrast, yay! I was inspired by the colors of fall, I can't wait for it to get a little cooler!

I also model part time. True story! Ok...not a true story. You wanna make one? You will need:

  • T shirt a size or two larger than what you normally wear
  • Scissors 
  • Disappearing ink pen, mark be gone pen
  • Rotary cutter/mat (not necessary, but will be helpful when cutting hems off!)
  • Extra wide bias tape, four yards. I used a three yard pack and I was one inch short! (NOTE: ribbing would have probably been better here, but I didn't have any)
  • Elastic thread
  • Ball point needle for sewing with knits
  • Sewing stuff: machine, matching thread, extra needles, all that stuff. 

And just as a note, I used 1/2" seams for this whole project unless otherwise noted.
Start with a t shirt a size or two larger than the size you wear to give you a little wiggle room and more fabric to work with.This is just a plain old brown t shirt from Jo-ann, got it on sale! (Still on sale, you can buy it {here})


Take that shirt that fits and turn it right side out. Shove the sleeves in and lay it directly centered on your t shirt. Using a fabric marking pen, trace around your shirt with a 5/8ish inch or so for seam allowance. I decided to flare out the bottom of the shirt, and make it a little more flowy.

Cut it out! Fold it in half before cutting to ensure that both sides are even. (It's much more flared I just couldn't get it all in the picture)

Pin and sew up the sides (right sides together!) using a zig zag stitch so the fabric can still stretch. Don't sew through the arm holes, unless you want to go for the straight jacket type look.

Next, sleeves. I used the original sleeve because I wanted it to flare out slightly too. To make it fit, I ruffled it a bit. To do this, run the sleeve through the sewing machine using the longest straight stitch possible and 1/4" seam allowance, leaving long threads. Then, gently pull the bobbin thread, and it'll start to gather! Ruffle it up until the sleeve is the same size as the arm hole.

Pin the sleeve on, right sides together, and sew. I like to double stitch my sleeves, since they tend to get pulled on a lot. Sleeves: good! Collar: not so much. Had to get rid of that t shirty collar.

Collar, meet scissors! I cut right under the original ribbing.

I added binding around the collar, to help it lay more flat. It may look funny in the back...that's because I was literally 1 inch short of binding! I however, am too stubborn to let it fly, so I created one tiny little pleat in the back to make up that extra inch.

See? One little pleat. Nothing fancy, but it did the job! And added a little bit extra interest. Ignore the terrible binding job. My getting way too long hair will hide it.

I also added binding to the bottom! I am lazy and I didn't feel like hemming one single thing. :D

When I thought I was done, I realized that something was missing. I thought about it a little, and then decided to add a bit of shirring right under the bust!

I had never successfully executed shirring, so this was rather exciting! I followed {this} awesome tutorial to get it right. I loved it, I can't wait to use this technique again!



Professional model. I tell ya. 

If this was confusing at all check out {this} t shirt redo I did last winter. It covers everything much more thoroughly. I was a little lazy and didn't go over it as much in depth this time around since it's very similar. 

Linking up {here}

20 comments:

Nikki said...

Love it! Makes me wish I had learned how to sew more than just a crooked line.

Carissa B said...

Even though it was a total fluke, I love the cute little pleat in the back to make the binding fit.

I found you through the Homemaker on a Dime Blogger party and I'm your newest follower. Come check me out, too, if you're interested @ Carissa's Creativity Space

sstone said...

I like it a lot! The colors go really well together, and you're right, that shirring definitely finished it off:)
everydaygameplan.net

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

That is super cute, I love it on you!

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

Agreed. It's super cute-I pinned it.

Caroline @ Artfully Caroline said...

Looks great !!

Anonymous said...

What a great project. I've pinned so I can use it as a sewing lesson for my kiddos. I'm your newest follower, come say hi at www.myparentingcoach.com

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

That turned out pretty cute! I like it.

Krafty Max Originals said...

Very cool, you did an amazing job!

Hop'n by from 'Creative Bloggers Party & Hop'. I'm following your blog now, wont you please come and follow me back?? ~KM

Krafty Max Originals

Unknown said...

Cute shirt.

Delightful Deets said...

Darling pictures! Love the shirt, thanks for the great instructions!
Delightful Deets

Unknown said...

Great idea! The shirt looks super comfortable and my daughter would love one! Thanks for sharing this at my What's In The Gunny Sack? link party!

Unknown said...

So cute! I love how it turned out. Thanks for the helpful tutorial. I would love it if you would stop by and share at the crafty link party going on right now at Lines Across.
I hope to see you soon,
Rachel
http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/10/cure-for-common-monday-13.html

Unknown said...

Hi Amie, I saw you on keeping it simple. You're such a cutie! Your shirt turned out as cute as can be too. I'm terrified of sewing knits. Do you have any tricks for keeping it's shape and stretch? Your tutorial was really nice, thanks for sharing the details.

Hugs...Tracy :)
I'm your newest follower. I hope you'll stop by and visit me too @ Cotton Pickin Cute - http://cottonpickincute.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Love this! What a great way to remake a shirt and to revamp the wardrobe for $0! Soo cute. Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo party.. can't wait to see what you share next!
Hope you also stop by and enter my giveaway for a chancet to win up to $100 in mdf craft goodies @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/10/mr-woody-giveaway-win-up-to-100-in.html

Unknown said...

Congrats! You were the most click link in last weeks link party! Go check it out and grab a featured button! :) Oh and feel free to link up to this weeks Link Party too!

http://www.thekurtzcorner.com/2011/10/features-no10-link-party-no11.html

raising4princesses said...

what an inspiring idea! Good job! I started a link party at my blog and I'd love for you to link this up. If you're interested it's http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/ Have a lovely day, Maria

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Love how good it looks! That is talent!

Anonymous said...

Great shirt..would not guess it came from a t-shirt. You model it well too. Thanks for sharing.

Robin Ange said...

Love your blog and your clothes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...